Getting no where fast: Connection problems

Need help with the Free CrossFTP server? In this forum you may find the answer.

Moderator: manage

Getting no where fast: Connection problems

Postby transco » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:38 am

I am trying to get CrossFTP server working on my local network. When I tried connecting, I kept getting a 'Connection Refused" response . I use the past tense in that I now have a new problem... after messing with the server, I now am denied permission to start it. Server and clients are Mac's running OSX 10.5. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.
transco

Re: Getting no where fast: Connection problems

Postby alex » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:24 pm

For your second question, the deny of permission is probably because that you set an FTP port lower than 8021, which is not allowed by a normal user. You can press the Configure button, and General -> Port to change it to a larger number.
For your first question, normally the server should work directly. Please make sure you specified the correct FTP Host and PORT number in your FTP client. The CrossFTP server's default PORT number on Mac is 8021 due to the permission issue. You can check the server Host and port information on the root panel, when the server is started.
CrossFTP Software
http://www.crossftp.com/
alex

Postby transco » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 pm

alex wrote:For your second question, the deny of permission is probably because that you set an FTP port lower than 8021, which is not allowed by a normal user. You can press the Configure button, and General -> Port to change it to a larger number.
For your first question, normally the server should work directly. Please make sure you specified the correct FTP Host and PORT number in your FTP client. The CrossFTP server's default PORT number on Mac is 8021 due to the permission issue. You can check the server Host and port information on the root panel, when the server is started.

My first problem turned out to be my having the ftp client default to port 21. When I was going through the server settings I saw the port was set to 8,021. I figured that couldn't be right, so I changed it to 21 which, as you say, caused the second problem. I put the server port back to 8021 and set the client to match. It works perfectly now. Thanks for your help.
transco

Postby transco » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 pm

In this situation, is '8020' the ftp data port?
transco

Postby alex » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Please check this newly updated guide to setup the server behind router: http://www.crossftp.com/kb/entry/32/
CrossFTP Software
http://www.crossftp.com/
alex

Return to Server - Public Support